Frequently Asked Questions

I’m a Croatian national, married to an Argentinian. My husband and I plan to move to Croatia. How does he as a foreign national regulate his residence?
The criteria for entry, residence and work of foreigners are regulated by the Foreigners Act (Official Gazette no. 130/11 and 74/2013) and accompanying laws. A third-country national, in this case an Argentinian, who is married to a Croatian national and plans to stay in Croatia longer than three months is obliged to submit no later than eight days before the three-month period is over an application for a residence card of a family member of EU citizen, which proves the right of temporary residence. The Act states that the family member shall be issued a residence card if he/she:
    has a valid passport, encloses documents proving that they are a family member, does not pose a threat to public order or national security, is not banned from entering and staying in Croatia.
Biometric residence card is valid for up to five years.
I would like to know under which conditions can citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina work in Croatia. I have a degree in economics and would like to work in my field.
According to the Foreigners Act (Official Gazette no. 130/11 and 74/2013), a foreign national can work in Croatia based on work and residence permit or work registration certificate, unless the Act states otherwise. As a rule, a foreigner cannot begin working before they are issued work and residence permit or work registration certificate. Article 48 of the Foreigners Act says that an application for temporary residence of a foreigner who does not require a visa for entry into the Republic of Croatia may be submitted to the police administration or police station based on the place of the intended residence, the registered office of the employer or the place of work. According to Article 49, application for residence and work permit may be also submitted by the employer. The applicant has to enclose proof that they meet the criteria for temporary residence and work. The list of documents that have to be enclosed with the application can be found on the website of the Ministry of the Interior (