Marriage in Croatia

Generally documents required are:

  • A copy of a birth certificate issued within three months of the date of submission;
  • A valid passport;
  • A confirmation by each party of No Impediment to Marriage (nulla osta) issued by their respective domestic authorities. This is a confirmation that a party is free to enter into marriage, must show a name and citizenship of the intended marriage partners and ensures that a marriage in Croatia will be recognised as valid in the Japan.

In certain circumstances additional paperwork may be required.

All documents issued by the foreign authorities require to be sealed by an Apostille. For documents issued by the Japan authorities this is done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.

These documents then have to be translated into Croatian and signed by a properly accredited translator and have a Certificate of Translation attached.